HBO has confirmed A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Season 2 and House of the Dragon Season 4 as part of a Marvel-style roadmap update for Game of Thrones TV series.
In its announcement today, HBO extended each series run through 2028. Both series will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is renewed for a second season ahead of the Season 1 debut on Sunday, January 18. Season 2 debuts in 2027, HBO said. House of the Dragon Season 3, meanwhile, debuts in summer 2026, with Season 4 set for 2028.
Francesca Orsi, EVP, HBO Programming, Head of HBO Drama Series and Films, said: “We are thrilled to be able to deliver new seasons of these two series for the next three years, for the legion of fans of the Game of Thrones universe. Together, House of the Dragon and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms reveal just how expansive and richly imagined George R. R. Martin’s universe continues to be. In January, I think audiences will be delighted by the inspiring underdog tale of Dunk and Egg that George and Ira Parker have captured so beautifully. And this summer, House of the Dragon is set to ignite once again with some of its most epic battles yet.”
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms adapts George R. R. Martin’s Tales of Dunk and Egg novella trilogy, itself a prequel to Game of Thrones set 100 years before the events of the main books. Peter Claffey and Dexter Sol Ansell play Ser Duncan the Tall and Egg, respectively.
Here’s the logline:
A century before the events of Game of Thrones, two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros… a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne, and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends.
George R. R. Martin has expressed his enthusiasm about A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms in the past — Martin teased earlier this year that he couldn’t wait to see Dunk and Egg’s story come to TV screens.
“I’ve seen all six episodes now (the last two in rough cuts, admittedly), and I loved them," Martin said in a blog post in January. "Dunk and Egg have always been favorites of mine, and the actors we found to portray them are just incredible. The rest of the cast are terrific as well. Wait until you guys meet the Laughing Storm and Tanselle Too-Tall.”
Martin continued to celebrate A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, adding: “It’s as faithful an adaptation as a reasonable man could hope for (and you all know how incredibly reasonable I am on that particular subject).”
The six-episode season debuts Sunday, January 18 at 10pm ET / PT on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max. New episodes will debut subsequent Sundays.
It's been a different story for House of the Dragon, however. In March this year, House of the Dragon showrunner Ryan Condal called George R. R. Martin’s criticisms of the series’ second season “disappointing” following remarks the author published in 2024.
Drama in the Game of Thrones world began when Martin promised to dive into “everything that’s gone wrong with House of the Dragon” in August last year. It’s a promise he kept, going on to call out plot elements related to Aegon and Helaena’s children as he expressed concern for how future seasons of the show might play out. The post was eventually removed from the author’s website without explanation but not before thousands of fans — and HBO — caught wind of the grievances it presented.
Still, that doesn't seem to have dampened HBO's enthusiasm for House of the Dragon, which we now know will continue to at least 2028. What might 2029 bring? Winds of Winter, finally?
Wesley is Director, News at IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.
Apple’s AirPods Pro 3 just got their biggest discount ahead of Black Friday