Despite being the best-selling game of 2025 in the US, beating Call of Duty for the first time ever, Battlefield 6‘s player count has been dwindling, losing 80% of its player count since launch on Steam.
This player count drop includes Redsec, Battlefield’s free-to-play battle royale, which dropped shortly after BF6’s launch, as they’re counted as the same game.
Popular YouTuber JackFrags posted a video on December 28, titled “Battlefield 6 desperately needs a wake up call.”
Here, he broke down what he feels has been going wrong with the shooter, saying the player count “dropped off a cliff,” and suggested ways to get it back on track.
“The live service launch has not delivered enough new content to keep the game feeling fresh for me,” he said. “Two new maps per season is not enough, and Battlefied Studios should be striving to deliver three or four as we’ve discussed many times previously.”
He continued: “BF6 live service in the future should focus on more new maps and toys rather than new game modes and gimmicky events that are flash in the pan.”
He highlighted other areas of the game where he feels there needs to be big improvements, including the depth of the gameplay, Portal and the server browser being a “disaster,” “awful” menu UI, and “AI slop” cosmetics.
JackFrags gives Battlefield Redsec a scathing review
But his most scathing feedback is towards the Redsec battle royale, which he called “dead on arrival.”
“I think they’ve blown it,” he said. “It clearly wasn’t ready to launch at the end of October, only two and a half weeks after the main game. Releasing it unfinished and two days before Arc Raiders, which they must have known was going to dominate the space for a couple of months, was a huge mistake, too.
“I feel like it could have been way better than what we actually got if they had more time with it. The current offering has not delivered on gameplay, map design, fun… It’s got laggy 30 Hz servers, awful loot, overpowered tanks, and painfully slow leveling for free-to-play players.”
He concluded, “I think the best thing that they could do is relaunch it at some point when it’s actually feature complete and finished, and change the name to Battlefield Royale.”
Despite all the feedback, he does “think BF6 is a fantastic and fun game, and Battlefield is back. It’s back on the map, no doubt. But saying that, though, maybe they’ve made a few mistakes already. No one’s perfect, but there’s always [an] opportunity to fix things, change direction, whatever that might be.”
Village with more cats than people welcomes first baby in 30 years