Roblox has released a statement regarding missing child Thomas Medlin. The 15-year-old went missing in New York after reportedly planning to meet another player they met in-game.
Medlin went missing on January 9. In an interview with Long Island News 12, Medlin’s mother, Eva Yan, said detectives investigating Medlin’s disappearance believed he had met someone in the game and had been planning to meet them.
A press release from the Suffolk County Police Department, released on January 12, reads:
“Thomas Medlin, 15, of Saint James, left the Stony Brook School on Friday, January 9, at approximately 3:30 pm and ran to the Stony Brook Train station. He was last seen at Grand Central Station in Manhattan at approximately 5:30 pm the same day.
Thomas Medlin is white, 5 feet 4 inches tall, and 130 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black jacket with red stripes, dark sweatpants with white stripes, a black backpack and glasses.”
Roblox conducts review
In a January 26 statement shared on X/Twitter, Roblox said that when it learned Medlin had been reported missing, it “immediately began an investigation” into reports that he had met another player in-game and was planning to meet them outside of the game.
According to Roblox, its review found no evidence that Thomas was directed to communicate off the platform and no sharing of off-platform contact information such as usernames, phone numbers, or other communication methods.
The company said all chat activity reviewed was consistent with typical in-game discussions and that there was no indication Thomas used voice chat.
The developer added that it had searched for any previous law enforcement inquiries related to the account as part of its standard process and that it would continue to provide full support to authorities as the investigation continued.
The statement concluded by reiterating Roblox’s focus on platform safety and directing users to its Safety Center for information about safeguards and resources related to online safety for children.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Medlin is asked to contact Fourth Squad Detectives at 631-854-8452 or call 911.
Sam Raimi Says There's No Chance of a Spider-Man 4 Starring Tobey Maguire Happening, and His Versions of Peter Parker and Mary Jane 'Have Gone Elsewhere'