Editor's note: This is a developing story and is being updated.
President Volodymyr Zelensky dismissed Russia's claims that Ukrainian drones attempted to attack a state residence of Russian President Vladimir Putin as "another lie," warning that Moscow is using the allegation to justify potential strikes, "most likely on Kyiv."
"With this statement about an alleged attack on some residence, they are preparing the ground to strike, most likely the capital and government buildings. We've already seen this before, when they attacked the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine," Zelensky said while speaking to Ukrainian media on Dec. 29.
Zelensky said the statement was made amid progress in Ukraine's talks with the U.S. on a revised peace framework, calling the timing deliberate.
"It's obvious that yesterday we had a meeting with President Trump, and it's clear that when there is no scandal for the Russians, when there is progress, it is a failure for them. They do not want to end this war and are only capable of doing so under pressure. So they are looking for a pretext," Zelensky added.
Earlier on Dec. 29, Russian independent media outlet Meduza reported, citing official statements by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, that Ukrainian drones had allegedly attempted to strike Putin's state residence with 91 drones in Russia's Novgorod Oblast overnight.
Lavrov said Russia would "revise its negotiating position" but would not withdraw from talks, accusing Kyiv of what he called "state terrorism" and warning that retaliation targets had already been identified.
Trump, Putin hold phone call following Zelensky's visit to Florida