A GoFundMe has been launched for Marvel star Mickey Rourke after he fell behind $60,000 on his rent, with the page raising more than half of its goal. The move has sparked a debate alongside questions about the Hollywood actor’s net worth.
Rourke started out his career in acting before turning to the world of professional boxing. However, he retired from the sport in 1994, returning to the screen in titles such as 9 ½ Weeks, Sin City, The Rainmaker, The Pledge, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Man on Fire.
He also put his experience to good use by portraying aging wrestler Randy “The Ram” Robinson in the sports movie The Wrestler. But fans may recognize Rourke for his work in franchise flicks like the MCU’s Iron Man 2, as well as the first The Expendables.
It’s hard to believe that such a prolific actor could struggle financially, but according to Rourke’s friend and member of his management team, Liya-Joelle Jones, he is currently facing the threat of eviction from his home.
What is Mickey Rourke’s net worth?
Estimates of Mickey Rourke’s net worth vary widely. After the latest news, Celebrity Net Worth has updated it to $50,000. But other outlets such as The Richest have previously suggested figures ranging from $2 million to $10 million.
Similarly, Rourke’s estimated paychecks vary significantly. According to Actors Paycheck Data, he was paid an estimated $1.25 million for his role in 1987 movie Angel Heart, $4 million for Man on Fire, and $7 million for Sin City.
However, others suggest that he was earning between $100,000 to $200,000 for these roles, sometimes even less.
What we do know is that a source told Vulture that he was initially offered $250,000 to appear in Iron Man 2, but Robert Downey Jr. reportedly advocated for Rourke to help him get a better deal.
The actor has been open about his financial and emotional issues in the past, having struggled to make ends meet despite always booking acting gigs. In 2012, he opened up to The Standard about the parallels between his life and role in The Wrestler.
“I wasn’t a little bit bad, I was horrible for 15, 16 years. I was out of control, I was out of my mind. I had to lose my house, my wife, my money, my career, everything, for me to fall all the way down to the bottom,” he said.
“Then somebody advised me I needed to talk to somebody. I resisted but I went, because everything was gone.”
He continued, “I was ashamed I lost my wife [Wild Orchid co-star Carré Otis] more than anything else. Not the money. It’s the other things that come along when you become a failure, because you self-destruct.”
Rourke also said that he had to shell out $60,000 to pay for therapy and deal with everything he went through growing up.
GoFundMe asks to help actor stay in his home
On Sunday (January 4), Jones launched the GoFundMe page to help Rourke amid the threat of eviction. As of Monday, (January 5), it’s raised more than $55,000 of its $100,000 goal.
Jones elaborated on the situation in the description, writing, “Mickey Rourke entered American cinema like a force of nature – raw, fearless, and utterly original…
“From Diner to Rumble Fish to 9½ Weeks, Mickey gave audiences performances that felt lived-in, not performed, and left a permanent mark on American film culture.”
However, she highlighted how Rourke’s life never followed a safe or protected path. He sought out “truth and authenticity” through boxing, but this left him with “physical and emotional scars.”
“What followed were years of struggle not defined by spectacle, but by survival: health challenges, financial strain, and the quiet toll of being left behind,” she continued.
“Today, Mickey is facing a very real and urgent situation: the threat of eviction from his home. This fundraiser is being created with Mickey’s full permission to help cover immediate housing-related expenses and prevent that from happening…
“Fame does not protect against hardship, and talent does not guarantee stability. What remains is a person who deserves dignity, housing, and the chance to regain his footing.
“The goal is simple: to give Mickey stability and peace of mind during an extremely stressful time – so he can stay in his home and have the space to get back on his feet. Any donation, no matter the size, will make a real difference.
“And if you’re not able to contribute, sharing this page is a huge help and deeply appreciated. Thank you so much for your kindness, compassion, and support.”
Hundreds of fans and loved ones have donated so far, with many sharing words of support for Rourke. “Best wishes Mickey. You should get a few movie offers soon,” said one.
Another commented, “Mickey Rourke is one of the best to ever do it. Please know that your fans love you, and we are incredibly grateful for the amazing performances that you shared with us over the years.”
In response to all the love, Jones told The Hollywood Reporter, “Mickey is going through a very difficult time right now, and it’s been incredibly touching to see how many people care about him and want to help.”
Why Rourke is facing eviction
According to the LA Times, Rourke is facing eviction from his Los Angeles home due to $59,100 in unpaid rent. Court documents filed on Monday (December 29, 2025) state that he was handed a three-day notice on December 18 to pay the rent or leave the premises.
Rourke signed a lease for the three-bedroom property back in March last year, costing him $5,200 a month at the time. The filing states that this was later raised to $7,000 a month.
A listing seen by the LA Times describes the property as a “nicely upgraded Spanish bungalow” built in 1926. Owner Eric Goldie is seeking compensation for attorney‘s fees and damages.
Last year, Rourke appeared on the UK’s Celebrity Big Brother, for which he was offered a rumored $620,000 paycheck.
However, the series received hundreds of complaints due to Rourke’s inappropriate language and instances of unacceptable behavior, including homophobic and disparaging remarks towards housemate JoJo Siwa.
After a formal warning and further incidents, Rourke was kicked off the show. A source later told The Sun that his payment was slashed due to the controversy, although this hasn’t been confirmed.
Fan reaction is mixed
The reaction to the GoFundMe has been mixed. While a flurry of support can be seen on the page, some netizens are struggling to feel sympathetic. “A GoFundMe for someone to stay in a 7k/month house? No thank you,” wrote one Redditor.
Another said, “Have loved some of his movies, and it sucks to see anyone broke, but he was pretty well known back in the 90s in Miami for living a very lavish lifestyle and spending money with wild abandon.”
“The man was in an Iron Man,” added a third. “Couldn’t that at least have bought him a permanent place to live?” A fourth chimed in, “His management team set this GoFundMe up. Hey just thinking out loud maybe if they had MANAGED HIM better he’d be able to pay his f**king rent!”
The Actors Paycheck Data video has also received plenty of comments after the news, with one writing, “$68m… if he would invest any of that back in the 90’s when he was popular, he would be swimming in money right about now.”
One comment on the GoFundMe page from someone who goes by ‘Mr Nobody’ has earned attention online. They wrote, “There are thousands of people across the globe that deserve this money more than your pathetic waste of flesh. It was worth $5 just to post this.”
Not everyone is against the campaign, however. As said by one fan, “Good luck, Mickey! You’ve obviously touched a lot of people. We’re rooting for you.” Another responded to Mr Nobody’s comment, “Why is it iconic? It is ill timed and cruel, has a ‘hit a man when he is down’ kind of vibe.”
'The Biggest Discovery in Red Dead Redemption 2 in Years' — Rockstar Fans Uncover Spiderweb Mystery Unnoticed Since Release, and Now the Hunt Is on for Answers